Do you want to look beautiful with smooth, silky, and frizz-free natural hair? You can get your natural hair more beautiful without any hair damage in many ways. If you have African American hair you can use different hairstyles like twists, braid, or loc, etc. But if you want smooth straight hair then you need to choose the best hair straightener for the best result.
The hair straightener is also known as a flat iron, black and thick hair are a bit tricky to the style so you need the best quality flat iron for this.
First, you need to identify your hair type like length, condition, texture, and thickness, before buying a flat iron. This is important because every hair type needs a special heat limit, you do not use any kind of hair straightener on all types of hairs. For example, if you use a too hot flat iron on your very fragile hair you might get results with frying your hairs.
However, you do not need to worry; I have done the hard work for you and gathered an impressive list of the best hair straighteners or flat irons. In which I will give you the type, features, comparison, and reviews about these products so you can select easily your best hair straighter. That defiantly helps you to save your money on a salon-approved best flat iron.
After identifying your hair type and need you can find a fantastic product for every budget and African American hair type. Let us start with your hair type then choose your best flat iron below under your budget…!
Identify The Type and Length of Your Hair:
As I mentioned above you just need to identify your hair type and length first before choosing your hair straightener. For example, you need to identify what type of hair you have, like thick, thin, hard, dry, silky, weak, short, or long, If you have thick hair, you need an iron that heats up 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Especially African American hair naturally very crinkly and slightly dry, so it is important to straighten your hair with a flat iron, which provides even heat distribution for best results.
How to Choose the Best Hair Straightener:
For getting glossy, smooth, silky, and straight hair, we need to use the best flat iron. Hair straighteners or flat irons are made by using heated plates. These heated plates help to iron out the bends in each strand of hair. If you have slightly wavy hair or thick, tightly curled locks, it is best to use the flat iron to straightener your hair. It is better than a blow dryer and paddle brush alone. The key for ideal hair care for African American hair, flattening without any damage is selecting the best flat iron for your hair according to your hair type, volume, and length.
Below we give some key features for your help in choosing the best hair straightener.
Type and Features of The Best Hair Straightener or Flat Iron
Adjustable Temperature Settings/ High Heat
Choose a hair straightener with an adjustable temperature setting; it helps to control the heat level according to your hair needs. Everyone has a different type of hair so his or her need is also different. This feature is very important to get a certain hairstyle without any damage and burn.
Temperature adjustment according to hair type:
- For Very crumbly, brittle & weak hair: 100°C to140°C
- Good and Fine hair: 140°C to 160°C
- For Normal hair: 160°C to 180°C
- Thick hair: 180°C to 240°C
Plate Size and Material of a Best Hair Straightener
It is another vital thing you must need to consider because different companies use different materials to make hair straightener plates. The two best types of materials are ceramic and titanium, which is most popular due to their result. However, fortunately, some straighteners come with both materials that mean now you can get the best result.
The size of the plates is also very important. You can choose the size according to your hair thickness and length. Choose thicker plates for long and thick hairs and thinner plates for short hairs.
Negative Ion Generating Plates in Best Flat Iron
This feature will help in reducing hair damage. You have a risk to burn your hair when you use high heat flat irons. Your hair contains a certain level of moisture content, when you iron your hair, these heated plates touch your hair locks and the moisture of your hair is evaporates. If your straightener has negative ion generating plates, it helps to refill this moisture and your hair can survive the heat for a long time period with less damage.
Ceramic Versus Titanium
Ceramic and titanium both are the most popular hair straighteners due to their best results. Whenever you are going to purchase, a flat iron must choose such plates that is contain 100% ceramic or titanium material. Do not buy any flat iron with other metal plates for cutting your cost. These metals are cheap but risky for your hair. Choose a hair straightener that contains titanium or ceramic plates for even heat and negative ions. Titanium will also helpful for the fastest hair straightening.
Floating Plate Design
Choose a flat iron with a floating plate design; it helps to straight each hair of your head without anyone missing it. With this feature, hair straightener’s plates bend and stay flat when you press the arms down, and your all hair will be able to touch the plates.
Multi-Functionality of a Best Flat Iron
A straightener with multi-function will help to do many things with one tool. It helps to use as a curler and flip your hair. If you spend most of your time on travel, this feature is most suitable for you.
Two-in-One Adds Possibility
Tube-shaped flat irons offer two-in-one potential. This type of flat irons allows you to roll your hairs around them and use them as a curler. Due to its cylindrical, design; it helps to produce big curls, waves, and other styles.
Dual Voltage Capability
A hair straightener with dual voltage capability will help when you get a chance for overseas vacations. If your flat iron has 110 and 220 voltage connectivity then it is the best option for you in case of traveling to other countries.
Flat Iron’s Safety Feature
Mostly flat irons offer safety features, I-e automatic shut-offs, and preprogrammed heat settings. That safety feature provides convenience and peace of mind.
Comfort and Ease of Use
We feel more comfortable with such a product, which is easy to use. If you are new to this product, choose the best one for you because your comfort is very important for working with it. You should go for a tool with an ideal designed handle that provides the best grip, hold comfortably, and should not be slippery in hand. If it is too heavy, you feel pain in your hand and tired before ending. Choose the lightweight flat iron with easy to access control buttons. Size and weight are also very important in a hair straightener when you are going to purchase it.
1. BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Ultra-Thin Straightening Iron: Best hair Straightener for Natural Black Hair
- Slim design: Help eliminate hand fatigue.
- High heat level: Provide excellent straightening result with advanced technology that protects hair from damage.
- Multifunctionality: Also used to create loose, big, beach wavy hair.
- Weight: 16 Ounces
- Size: 1 Inch wide and 5 inches long
- Material: Nano-Titanium
- Temperature: Up to 450 °F or 232 °C
- Lightweight and slim design
- Provide excellent results
- Quickly heats up
- Long-lasting straight, shiny, and smooth hair.
- Easy to use
- Multifunction as an iron and a curler
- Easy to carry and store
- Temperature Adjustment Setting
- Pretty expensive than the ordinary iron
- No auto power-off safety features
- Not dual voltage
- Small gape between two plates
- Not ideal for wet and tresses
2. Conair INFINITI PRO Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron — Best Flat Iron for 4C and 4B Hair
- A best flat iron with 30 heat settings.
- Extra-long floating plates and advanced ceramic technology.
- Less Frizz and More Shine. Provide straighten hair or create beachy waves.
- Wavy or sleek: add volume and flip or create pin-straight styles.
- Weight: 1 Pound
- Size: 1 Inch, 1-3/4 inch, and 1-1/2
- Material: Ceramic
- Temperature: Up to 455 °F
- Reasonable price
- Quickly heat up, ready in 15 seconds
- Floating plates
- Three different plate widths available
- Best for all hair types
- Sometimes unexpectedly turns off
3. Ghd Platinum Hair Straightener Ceramic Flat Iron- Best Hair Straightener for All Hair Types
- Ist smart professional hair straightener: ultimate visible excellent results in one stroke.
- Healthier styling with safety: Ideal styling temperature help minimizes hair damage; provides stronger hairs with more color protection.
- Weight: 1 Pound
- Size: 1 Inch,
- Material: Ceramic
- Temperature: 365 °F
- Advanced features
- Dual voltage and auto shut off
- Heating monitoring feature
- According to your hair care needs
- Very expansive than others
- Non-adjustable heat setting
4. Paul Mitchell Pro Tools Express Iron Smooth Plus Best Flat Iron
- Easy to hold: Smart design makes it easy to handle while creating curls smooth.
- Hair protection: Protect your hair curls and creating durable results.
- Suitable for daily routine: Use daily without any risk or damage.
- Weight: 16 ounces
- Size: 1.25 Inch,
- Material: Ceramic and Silicon
- Temperature: Up to 410 °F
- Quickly heat up, heat recovery time
- Wider ceramic plates than the ordinary iron
- Ultraviolet technology
- Temperature adjustment
- Expensive than ordinary irons
- Not automatic shutoff features
5. CROC Classic Nano Titanium Flat Iron
- Professional hair straightener: Combination of professional and luxury with ultimate styling experience.
- Easy to carry lightweight design and floating plates, less hand fatigue with strong results.
- Weight: 1 pound
- Size: 1 Inch,
- Material: Ceramic and Titanium
- Temperature: 280 to 450 °F
- Technology: Negative Ions
- Silver titanium plates
- Best for all hair type
- Professional styling
- Auto shut-off availability
- Expensive than others
6. CHI G2 Ceramic and Titanium 1-1/4” Straightening Iron
- 1-1/4″ Ceramic & Titanium Infused Plates
- New ‘mode’ button: Color-coded temperature ranges for preset temperatures, blue for fine/fragile hair, green for medium/wavy hair, red for coarse/resistant hair.
- Quick heat up: Ready for use just in 40 seconds.
- Weight: 15.87 ounces
- Size: 1.25 Inch,
- Material: Ceramic and Titanium
- Temperature: Up to 425 °F
- Advance technology/ functional
- One-hour auto shut off
- High-quality material
- Heats up quickly with evenly distributed
- 2-years warranty available
- Include Thermal Mat
- less durable than others
Step-by-Step Guide for African American Hair Straighten with a Best Hair Straightener
When you have chosen your best hair straightener for your black hair, then you need to get ready to straighten your hair. As we know all African American hairs are a bit tricky to handle while working with flat irons. Here I recommend some simple steps as a quick guide for you to make this process easy and deliver results that are more effective.
1: Start With Dry and Nourished Hair:
In the first step, you need to prepare your hair before straightening. Is it no matter if, you use iron on your wet hairs? It is a big mistake; you will damage your hair badly if you start ironing on your hair without properly dry. You need clean, dry, and nourished hair before straighten your hair if you want to protect your hair strands.
2: Test With Low Heat Setting For The First Time:
If it is your first time with a new flat iron then it is better to test it on your hair with a low heat setting. Because every hair straightener’s plates and temperatures are different and react differently with a different type of hair. Low heat prevents your hair from burning and fewer damages your hair locks. When you feel safe with your new flat iron then you can increase temperature.
3: Separate Your Hair into Small Sections:
Separate your hairs into small sections for the best results. Make small sections that come in your straightener easily. Now comb one section then straighten them and switch to the next section. Repeat the same method on each section one by one for the best result. Use the lowest setting and go slow, start from the top of your hair and come to the tip of your hair with your flat iron through.
4: Avoid Overwork on The Same Strands:
When you are using a flat iron on your hair, avoid too much heat and overwork on the same strands. When you put your hair in these heating plates repeatedly, you may burn your hair locks. You should touch a flat iron’s heating plates one or maximum twice on the same strands. That is a reason you need the best hair straightener for your African American hair, to get the best result with minimum damage.
5: When Straightening Your Hair Does Not Stop in The Mid-Way:
When you start iron one section of your hair now does not stop in the mid-way. Untangle your hair section properly while straightening so it makes your flat iron pass smoothly. Hold your hair tightly which prevent your hairs to catch curl around the straightener as you pull it through.
6: When Complete Apply Finisher Solution:
When you have done with your hair apply a finisher solution for restoring hair nourish. You can use hair cream, oil, and serums, which are rich in nutrients. Olive oil, argan oil, and jojoba oil are also best for that purpose. You can wash your hair after three days for the next session when your hair recovers its natural moisture.
Frequently Asked Questions.
Which one is best for black hair, is it titanium or ceramic?
First, identify your hair type. If your hairs have thick locks, it has required more heat so titanium is better for your hair. In addition, ceramic is best for fine hair because they need less heat.
What is the best hair straightener with the least damage?
Everyone has different hair types and needs. There is no single hair straightener, which is best for all types of hairs. The best flat iron is the one, that is most suitable for your hair.
How many times can I use a hair straightener in a week?
The best time is once a week, but you can use it twice if you like it the most, but not more than it.
How can I use the flat iron to curl my hair?
You can make a wavy beach curl with a flat iron by rolling your hair around it.
How frequently should I need to clean my flat iron?
It is best if you have clean it right after use. When you notice any strange thing and color left on the iron plates you need to clean it.